Thursday, August 16, 2012

Meltdown

We left E's house at 8 am and headed to Canadian Tire for paint. After stocking up, we went to my place and starting prepping. I was exhauted, thus cranky and impatient. E and I had discussed our approach to the job in the car, but when we arrived and he starting rolling the walls, I hit the ceiling.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm painting the walls."

"I thought we talked about starting with the ceiling."

"I thought you were going to cut and I was going to roll."

"Well, you don't roll before cutting. You roll after cutting. That's the point of rolling . . . to smooth over the cuts."

"I've never done it like that."

"Well, didn't you watch the video?"

He stares blankly at me, then says, "I"ve always done it where one person cuts and the other person rolls."

"Well, maybe you can do that . . . but the person rolling comes after the person cutting."

It went on like that for a while. It wasn't fun. I wasn't happy. I'm still not. I'm stressed. I have too much to do and too little time.

The good news is that I have this great neighbour who swooped in and saved my back lawn from becoming a forest. I am so grateful. I have never had a handle on that lawn. I'm glad to be leaving it. I will leave the new family all of my well-intended garden implements and I will escape across the river. They'll inherit my tomatoes, mint, chives, roses, and pumpkins, but I'll avoid the misery of watching my lawn get away from me time and time again.

I was dripping with sweat from the work on the bathroom. The good news is that it looks nice and will be much better with renters than my old pink plastic eyesore of a salle de bain.

Still, I thought I was about to lose it earlier . . . it felt like a meltdown. I've had enough of painting and planning and moving and E's blank stares.

No comments: