Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Get me out of here!

Okay, well, finally, we are minutes away from our honeymoon. I am waiting for E to pick me up in his shiny, red car. I just want to do nothing. I know we'll have fun. Anytime we go anywhere together (sans children) we have a great time.

Last night we had a "family" meeting. It was about Responsibility, Respect, Roles, and Rules. C, E's son, was not happy. He pouted and sniffed and wiped back tears. This is a continuation of the behaviours he displayed for the past 2 years. Whenever C doesn't get what he wants, he adopts this stance. It is so frustrating for me, because all I can do is follow E's lead, and E tends to either ignore or indulge his son. When he asked him what was wrong and C said he was angry with his sister, I knew that wasn't true, but E just shrugged and let it go. Even E's daughter, L, recognizes E's resistance to emotional communication. She's 12 going on 30, and last night remarked, "Yeah, whenever papa asks us what's wrong and we say 'nothing' he just walks away, no 'are you sure?', no 'what's really going on?' - he just walks away."

"We may have to change that," I said.

That may take some time.

Until that happy future date, I'll just try to let the "family" meeting go  . . . and enjoy a couples weekend!

Here's to champagne and pools and eating out!


No comments: