Monday, August 6, 2012

Height of Summer

We just came in from the pool. It was cooler than it has been, just the hint of summer turning in the evening air I loaded up my car with A's clothes and hauled them here after vacating my house this morning.

The contractor was working his way down through layer upon layer of bathroom flooring, first the vinyl faux wood that was there when I bought the house, then some beigy linoleum, then a pink layer, then warped wood. He also found balled up newspapers from the 1950s in the wall. It was deconstruction day.  I didn't want to be there, but I was worried about leaving my home in someone else's hands. E reminded me that I'd have to get used to it.

There's a family that wants to rent my place, which surprised me. I thought it was only big enough for 2, but they've been living abroad and thought it would work for them . . . so, I'll hand it off and hope for the best. At least I'll keep the house. Without renting it, I probably couldn't keep it, not with the work prospects as they are.

I was talking to my friend S today and we have a similar outlook. The Universe directs us, we both feel, through these surprising twists and turns. If I'm not teaching all the time, juggling marking and multiple demands, then maybe I'll have more time to focus on what I really love, or at least focus on finding out what it is that I really love to do. Certainly, I know who I love. I do have a lot of love in my life and I'm grateful for that.



No comments: