Monday, May 17, 2010

A Walking Pace

I used to walk everywhere, to daycare, to school, to the grocery store, to see friends, to movies. It was my primary mode of transportation and I bought a big jogging stroller so that I could cart A along with me all winter long. We walked snow, sleet, rain, or shine.

Since buying a car last August, all that's changed. My whole life has shifted to adjust to car culture. Granted, I bought the car after last summer's rain, when I was constantly drenched. I was cycling to work then, 40 minutes each way, then to daycare, then home, and wherever else I needed to go. I was exhausted. The car was a welcome relief and I was really excited about using it (and couldn't have had my current relationship without it) until I was in a bit of a crash (a bit more than a fender bender) last October. After that, I was cowed. I lost confidence in the car and I still don't drive it with a firm sense of security. So, I drive, yes, everyday, but I don't really enjoy it. I hate traffic and commuting, even though everything in Ottawa is about 10 minutes away.

My drive out to E's place takes longer, as I've mentioned, and it is particularly awful on Friday afternoons. Last week, we left Ottawa at 2:45 pm and we didn't get there until about 3:15 pm. That felt like too long and it was too stressful, because everyone on the road was in a bad mood and a hurry and I was flipped off and cut off a couple of times, once for not advancing on a blocked intersection, and the other time just because someone wanted to blow off some steam.

I wish I could still walk everywhere. On weekends, I try to. Sometimes, A and I cycle to a nice neighbourhood nearby and the closest Bridgehead in the area. I'm about to return to yoga soon and it is in that area too. I'll try to avoid driving there, but it is so much quicker sometimes, that it is tempting to forgo the exercise for the convenience, especially when pressed for time.

I always seemed pressed for time now, too. This also seems connected to my new life. There hasn't been time for much but A and E and work. There's little time for me, but I'm going to start addressing that this week. I plan on doing at least one, maybe two yoga classes. I'll also try to write more, eat better, read.

I spent most of yesterday reading on my wicker chair in the backyard, with snacks and drinks, The Brambles, wearing a big floppy hat and sunscreen. It was perfect. Having a yard is divine, really. When I looked at my mortgage payment on my bank statement today . . . it was about $200 cheaper than my previous rent, needless to say that doesn't cover hydro, gas, water, taxes, etc., but it still made this choice seem like the right one, even is life has shifted from slow gear into fast, from urban crawl into near-suburban sprawl.

No comments: