Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Ontario Family Law Racket

After my lawyer dumped me last Thursday, I saw a female lawyer who I liked much better. The problem seemed to be that we didn't know when the Case Conference (the first stage in the court process) was scheduled. What she did was call my ex's lawyer and mention her availability. My ex's lawyer didn't get back to her, but he seems to called my previous lawyer.

I know all these people know each other, and I think what happens is they strategize to get the most money out of their clients as possible by encouraging conflict and extending negotiations. Who knows what was said? Whatever it was, it seems it somehow changed my lawyer's stand on me, because when my father called to talk to him about refunding me money (yes, I asked my father to do this because I was too frustrated to do it myself), my lawyer told my father that he was still willing to work for me and he made himself available for a meeting. Now I'm left wondering whose interests this person is serving - my ex's or mine? My ex's lawyer's or mine? How can I possibly trust him after his little tirade?

Meanwhile, I met with another lawyer today known for his hard-line litigation. I thought it would be a quick meeting and I could get out of there without spending too much more than $200. WRONG. When you consult a lawyer, dig your own grave. $500 dollars later, I'm perhaps slightly more informed, a lot less hopeful, and definitely poorer. Racket. It's a bloody racket. It doesn't serve the interests of families. This family law business just makes lawyers rich. It's offensive.

The problem with it is this . . . no one I've spoken to credits my daughter's experience of distress as being significant enough to justify restricting my ex's access. Where are children in this process? They are entirely left out whereas they should be at the centre. Who is protecting our children?

All I know is that I'm trying my best to protect my daughter and deal with a hostile ex husband and nothing seems to be working. The forensic psychologist I spoke to said, "Justice serves the person with the deepest pockets." If that's true, if that is what our system supports, then we can all be ashamed, especially those profiting from it.

No comments: