Saturday, May 22, 2010

May 2-4

I picked up a big bag of special soil and some plants from Loblaws yesterday and set to work planting soon after A and I settled back in at home. Feuled by Diet Coke, I planted 5 planters of flowers and herbs, spread the remaining soil on my now sandy and forlorn side garden, and proceeded to plant more herbs and vegetables along the driveway. I realize this probably isn't the ideal place for a vegetable garden, but I'm not going to sweat it this summer. It is an experiment more than anything. I have a pepper and tomato plant in planters at my makeshift wicker patio emsemble in the back yard (Did I mentione I am queen of salvaging - having found, yesterday, among the nursery detritus, a perfectly matching wicker plant stand that someone had thrown out? This matching my perfectly-matched, separately-found wicker chairs and pillows?), and I'll compare their growth to those planted by the driveway to see what a difference full-on versus partial sun makes to their growth. I'm so excited by all this, having had a disappointing apartment gardening season last year when my balcony was being redone and the patio doors were sealed shut (now I wonder, why on earth did I stay in that apartment for so long?).

Ooooh, summer and this weekend starts it all off. I'll have to get something bubbly to toast the event and E and I are planning a romantic dinner and night out. He bought me some lovely gold strappy sandals in NYC (very Sex and. . .) and I bought a swingy little strappy black dress to match, so it should be lots of fun to dress up and enjoy what I hope will be a balmy evening (although it isn't at all warm now).

This morning he'll help me weed my lawn and trim it. Monday we're set to get all the kids in his pool. It promises to be a lovely weekend.

No comments: