Thursday, September 13, 2012

The End of the Family Unit

This was the title of a Globe and Mail article I read this morning. Certainly, in this house we are all tuned in to various screens most of the time. We have, between us, 3 televisions,  2 laptops, 1 netbook, 2 desktops, 3 iPods, 1 iPad, and 1 DS, and 3 DVD players. That's for 2 adults and 3 kids. We're about average according to the article. Often, every child is in their room with a device, while we adults rest.

When E and I were in Montreal recenlty, we stopped at Linguini's for dinner. Just as we had finished ordering, a family of five came in. There were a mom, dad, and three kids under 8. They were whiny and loud until "poof!" out came three iPads and the kids began to play, leaving their parents to have a quiet dinner for two.

Of course, using these electronic minders is probably not good for conversation among members of the family unit, but it does make it easier to be together.

What is strange to me is how the concept of family evolves. What will happen with A and E's kids? Will they think of themselves as part of a family together? Will E and I ever think of us and our kids as some kind of family unit? Certainly, we're not there yet. We're far from there . . .we eat together sometimes, but often not. Everyone has distinct interests, and the kids all have two households. E and I stay here together, but I'm always obsessing about my own home. I'm not sure whether time will change this or not.



No comments: