Monday, July 12, 2010

Kicking the Hornet's Nest

I may as well have been doing that . . . with this past week of suffocating heat . . . no work . . . and legal negotiations . . .

I finished the Larsson series today. It was a good distraction and underlined elements of my own experience of systemic gender bias in the legal system. I can certainly feel empathy for Lisbeth Salander. The characters are so credible and captivating that I didn't want the story to end. Like all of Larsson's fans, I want more . . . and wish there was more to read . . . the complete series of 10 books would have been groundbreaking. E bought The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest for me on Saturday.

"Do you want it?" he asked me, when we saw it in the bookstore. "I"ll buy it for you."

We'd just finished a day out with the kids and all I wanted to do was crawl into bed with a book. After I handed A off to her father, that's exactly what I did. I pleaded sunstroke and stayed in instead of driving out to E's for the night. He understood. I've been reading ever since.

No comments: