Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Done in on all fronts . . .

If it weren't for an exceptionally kind neighbour with a vast knowledge of lawn care, I may well have destroyed my lawn for good. As it is, my lawn in neatly mown, if patchy in colour. No one ever told me to let it grow would mean it would die underneath the verdant waving fronds on top. My edges are trim and clean. Now it is my job to keep up to this and I don't know how I'll do it. I have to purchase implements - a weed wacker, a gas lawnmover. My millionaire ex-boyfriend's gift of a dinky manual mower from Lee Valley didn't cut it. It actually broke as E was trying to help me with my lawn last Friday. I'l have to look into exchanging that thing for something that works. How could I possibly think I could easily handle a 50 by 100 foot lot on my own? I can't.

Anyway, there are larger cats to catch in my life right now . . . the lawyers are meeting today to decide our fate. I met with mine yesterday morning . . . and I can't say I enjoyed it. As much as I try to get through to lawyers, I never seem to succeed. As a whole, (E would squirm about me generalizing, but I have no problem with it), they are linear thinkers who find it impossible to understand emotional colour and principles. They cannot conceive of things in a holistic way. How can anything work if it is drafted by people who can't undertand the notion of multiple interpretations and the slippery evasiveness of sadistic people? For example, in my last agreement, the line that has ensured I will never be paid for medical expenses I was entitled to. This was written by the head negotiator for the Legal Aid Office in Ottawa. It read thus: "The applicant will submit to his insurer, receipts fo rmedical/dental treatments in the amount of $1,230.00 which receipts were provided to him today. He wil limmediately reimburse the Respondent upon receipt of benefits from the insurer." Well, it didn't say he'd give me the money, so he didn't. He made his own claims for that money to the insurer and and nullified mine. This is the kind of perfidy I'm dealing with. You would hope that someone running a legal aid mediation would know better. Apparently not. Anyway, I'm not sure anything my present lawyer drafts is any better. I've been doing a lot of editing. I run things by E and my father, but they aren't lawyers. I can't be expected to know all about this process myself. What I do know is that the legal system does not protect women and children. It protects and promotes men with money. There is something fundamentally wrong with the system, principally because it serves those who designed it.

I will rant more later.

No comments: