Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Asunder again

Okay, I just listened to this week's episode on Child Custody and I find myself relating more sympathetically to Rachel Cave. She's a divorced mother and she understands and experiences the pain of a mother's separation from young children. It is an incomparable loss. Nothing touches it.

I especially appreciate that Cave included Susan Boyd's rebuttal of the assumption of 50/50, which I personally think is a disaster for children, but which I myself am not contesting because it seems like a losing battle. My friend HD would say, "How can you not defend your daughter?"
I have come to the conclusion that I can best serve her by allowing her time with her father and the opportunity to know the truth of her situation with all the love and support I can give her to cope with it. It isn't a pretty reality. She watches her father interact with me. She says, "Why doesn't Daddy talk to Mommy?"

I hope that someday my daughter will be able to write a response to the decisions of people like Dr. W and the stolid, white male judges who decided her fate. It shouldn't have to fall to her, though. I should be able to defend her now, but I feel incredibly disempowered in this time of father's rights and these legal assumptions which make it nearly impossible to contest a father's claim to his child.

No comments: