Friday, June 4, 2010

Sex and the City 2

It's a romp! It has a message, certainly, and if that is offensive, well, consider why. But it is fun, even E found it fun. (Isn't he amazing? He came with me.) It also addresses of relevant issues for women, such as aging, motherhood, marriage, social control, etc. I miss the show. I don't have a television, but just the idea of women talking openly about sex and other issues of relevance to them is important. Does that happen now? I'm not sure. I work mostly alone and with my move and this custody crush, I haven't been out much. I haven't talked about sex with anyone but E, but I enjoy that . . .

I'm at home on a rainy Sunday morning and feel no compulsion to go run or do anything too challenging, When A is here it is all about her, when she's not, it's all about me wool-gathering (Alice Munro's word for musing and thinking). I love having a huge expanse of unstructured time. Bliss.

However, there is an important document that must be dissected - the just-arrived Settlement Offer. I received it on Thursday with a note from my lawyer, " I can't deal with this until I'm back from my vacation on June 21st." I didn't look at it until Friday, and then only with someone holding my hand. Yesterday, E and I sat up early in bed reading it through.

"Not bad, babe," he said, "You got most of what you wanted."

I guess. Not really. Not at all. I lose the child I love to someone I hate half the time. How is that getting most of what I want? E thinks in terms of he and I and time to travel. He loves having his kids half-time because that doesn't interfere with his life as a relatively high-profile academic. With my lower profile, making-ends-meet couple of jobs, time isn't nearly as necessary, but still, it would be nice to be able to have time to focus on more of what is important to just me. The work I'll have over the next year is to really find out what that is, what remains of what I was and what is necessary to what I am now and will become.

No comments: