Monday, June 28, 2010

Asunder

I just finished listening to Rachel Cave's CBC's radio one special on divorce. Initial thoughts? Yes, there are "types" of divorce but there are also different attitudes towards divorce that allow some people to walk when they shouldn't. The 2/3 of marriages that can be saved . . . I'm interested in why some people leave when there is potential to work things through. Is it the grass is greener misconception? The sense of feeling trapped? What makes people bolt? I don't think either E or I would have left our marriages. We are the committed ones. Our partners left and I can't help but think they did it because they were both weak and selfish and lacked a strong sense of commitment and morality. They both immediately began other relationships and had babies . . . and I can't help but think they were trying to prove that they could make it work with the right person . . . but I also think . . . give it time. I'm betting those second unions are not as stable as they seem. Meanwhile, E and I are thinking of getting married too. Not right away though. Maybe in a year or two. We'll give ourselves time and think it through. Is that enough? What can ensure that we don't feel so threatened by each other's hold that we bolt? I think we're more mature than our mates, but maybe, with a mate who is our match in terms of stability, we'll feel stifled. What will prove what will hold?

1 comment:

Capital Mom said...

How exciting for you and E! it is a good idea to give it time. We were togehter 4 and 1/2 years before getting married.