Sunday, September 26, 2010

Oh, Happy Day

E is back. I'm happy. It is much more fun with him around. Tonight we tried the wing place up the street. There were dozens of different kinds of wing sauces to choose from, so of course we chose what we thought looked the hottest, a sauce with some great name I forget, and . . . it brought us to our knees, both of us dripping tears and snot, our lips swollen, our mouths burning, chewing on ice just to keep from clawing the walls. Excellent stuff. When the waitress asked how the food was, E replied, "Perfect." He was rolling his eyes and puffing his cheeks and I couldn't help but enjoy the spectacle, because this is the guy who thinks he's hotter than hot stuff. Ha.

We also talked about "the ring." I may not have mentioned, I probably didn't, but I'm wearing a stunningly beautiful triple-diamond ring. The ring . . . he bought for his ex-wife for their 10th Anniversary in order to reaffirm their marriage after her multiple afffairs, the only problem is . . . she left him before their 10th Anniversary. So. I'm wearing the ring.

I went looking at new settings and other rings on the weekend. The appraiser who was helping me asked, "What's wrong with that ring?"

I answered honestly, "Nothing. But, it wasn't intended for me."

"Right. Good reason for resetting it then."

My dilemma is . . . will resetting it really make it my ring?

The reason I'm wearing the ring is . . . he had it . . . it was beautiful . . . and he thought I might like to wear it. Yes, I do like wearing it, but I also feel like a fraud.

He's often said, well, just pick out a ring and I'll buy one for you.

But it isn't that easy, once you've been wearing this expensive and beautiful ring he bought for his ex-wife.

So. I have to decide soon, do I reset this ring, or get another altogether? I probably could not choose a ring as expensive or beautiful as the one I'm wearing, because of who I am, the extravagance of it, and the fact that I have grown quite fond of the ring I'm wearing.

Do I just change my attitude or do I change the setting?

Not a huge problem, I admit.

No comments: