Friday, September 17, 2010

The End of a Long Week

When A got home today she was cranky and difficult. She badly wanted to play with the neighbours, so I quickly changed and we walked across the street and knocked on their door. There was no answer, so I encouraged her to return to our yard to play, but she wouldn't budge. Eventually, I carried her back across the street. She was furious.

I decided to give her a time out. She resisted. I tried to appearse her, but nothing worked. She was snarly. Finally, I told her I had had enough. I explained that I had important things to do (urgent work matters that popped up on my email at 5:00pm) and she could have the time out on my bed or on hers. She decided to stay in my room and pulled the covers over her head. Within seconds she was asleep. Thank God! It is so hard to deal with whining and obstinance, especially after a particularly challenging week trying to get both of us into our new routines.

When do things settle down, I wonder? I guess we are just both exhausted, but there's more to it than that . . . it is that our lives have become suddenly complicated and we are both trying to manage. It isn't easy all this running around and spending time apart. I long for simplicity. We were supposed to have an advance birthday celebration with E and his kids tonight, but that won't happen now and maybe wasn't such a good idea to begin with.

Her class tomorrow was cancelled and I wonder whether to schedule another or just let it be, for now. I'm leaning towards letting it be. Our lives are overscheduled as it is and we need time to just hang out. Besides, it would be difficult to get her father on board for the alternative 9:30 am class tomorrow morning. Instead, maybe we'll go to the park and relax. It feels like forever since we've done that. How quickly the pace of life can chance.

No comments: