Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Riding the black horse through a bleak land

When I was going through the worst of it, the summer just after my ex left, I attended Art in the Park and bought a small print of a girl riding bareback on a black horse through a stark winter landscape. The girl is dressed in a short sleeved green dress and is holding on tightly to the horse's neck. The little print resonated with me then and still does. Here I am, seemingly, at the end of the legal battle and I still feel like that girl. I received my final bill from my lawyer today. It was in the thousands of dollars. I wasn't expecting it to be quite that much. It has been an extremely expensive month. However, it could have been worse. That's what I'll console myself with.

E and I had a quick trip to Montreal yesterday, we ate out, hung around a Hotel pool, drank champagne to toast the end of my custody saga (I hope), and lazed about in the king-sized bed. He had a meeting this morning and I marked exams, watching people shiver in the cold on the snowy street below. We raced back after his morning meeting so that he could teach at 1:00 pm. I'm grateful for our getaways. They've kept me going through the last part of this ride.

Now, hopefully, I can start to slow down and look around and see where I want to go next.

No comments: