Thursday, March 3, 2011

Contractors

Since getting this house I have had to deal with a number of contractors. I have no skills in this area; any questions I have about my house seem to annoy them. This was particularly true of the electrician I was dealing with last week. As I mentioned, I returned after their first day in the house to find gaping holes around all my old outlets and fixtures. He hadn't warned me about this, then acted as though he had. I did not know what to do. I was in the middle of these intense custody negotiations and then found myself in the middle of a half-wired house full of holes. All of the patching and painting E and I had done last year would have to be redone, and I knew that neither of us could patch the plaster walls sufficiently. It increased the cost of this electrical upgrade significantly, as I was completely unprepared. My electrician and his sidekicks were unsympathetic. Certainly, they took no pride in their craftsmanship.

This guy is coming back to finish the job tomorrow. After a call to the Electrical Safety Authority today, I was told that the electrician, while registered, had not applied for a permit to do the work on my house. This is a problem, apparently my problem unless I report him. I can't handle this.

Yet, this is the house I got.

A couple of weeks ago at our first pre-maritial counselling session the counsellor turned to me and said, "This is the guy you got."

It's something like that.

No comments: