Friday, February 11, 2011

Ball de Neige

I just awoke from a long recovery nap. Today was one of those spectacular winter days of bright blue sky, sun, and crisp snow that will live on in memory forever, likely, because it made A so happy. Her little friend's dad and I spent hours with four bright little girls who ran and rolled and slid and spun about in the snow. They also fought and cried and fell and fussed. At one point A turned to me and said, "Mommy, I'm so happy! I'm so happy to be here with my friends." Later, she wasn't so happy when she and her little friend argued about who got to catch me at the bottom of the slope, but made me proud when she apologized to her friend after the falling out.

If I can do anything right, I hope I can give A the courage to be loving, kind, faithful, and true to herself and others. That would go a long way to helping me feel that her father's influence will not have a lasting detrimental effect.

Last week she said to me, "Why did you make my daddy sad?" because apparently he told her that he left me because I made him sad.

"I don't know sweetheart," I replied. "I didn't mean to make him sad. I think it is important that if someone makes you sad you talk about it. You work things out."

A's father doesn't know how to talk about things or work things out. However, I'm sure she'll know better. It seems to me she already does, and I'm grateful for that.

Hanging out with her little friends, I can see that A's personality is far more retiring and measured than those of her peers. Her teacher told me as much. At the meeting I had with her this week, she reassured me that A is doing much, much better, which was a huge relief. She also said that A holds her own and isn't easily influenced by her friends and their bad behaviours. I know, however, that she is hurt by slights and fights, and she won't be able to avoid those from what I can see.

I'm happy she'll have today, though. This will be a magical memory of sparkling snow; long, icy slides; fuzzy mascots; maple taffy; immense snow sculptures; friends, and sheer winter fun.

No comments: