Monday, January 11, 2016

Tropical Island

E and I just returned from a tropical island getaway. It was lovely to feel the sun's heat on my skin, to hear ocean waves churning in the distance, to see a wide blue sky, and to drink and eat tropical fruit like mangoes, guava, and passion fruit. A few days like that should be able to carry one a long way through winter, but back in the cold . . . it seems to linger less in mind that I'd hope it would. There must be ways to keep that tranquil state breathing into the present.

I will try, over the next weeks of winter, to bring the relaxation and beauty present in that trip home. I made a list of things to do on my phone and I'll seek out warm winter break opportunities these next two months. There must be a public sauna somewhere . . . there must be opportunities to be out enjoying the sun, even in the frigid air. I've never been one for winter sports, but that may be a place to start . . . last year it all felt too much with the cold, this year may be easier. Getting through winter is always a personal challange for me, but I will have to look for sunny ways to warm my heart.

No comments: