Sunday, October 31, 2010

Snow

Winter arrives one Saturday night as we're eating wings with our children. We leave the joint to the sprinkle of solid rain. When we emerge from our next course of Pho, it is truly snowing. A and E's daughter stick out their tongues, gleefuly catching snowflakes. We all squeeze into E's new sportscar and speed out into the flurries. By morning there is a layer of white on the ground. I feel like burrowing away somewhere for the next 5 months. I wish I could have a big meal and then a long, drawn-out sleep. I just finished reading Friday Nights by Joanna Trollope. I've never read her before and it was a companionable read, but left me feeling just a little bit hopeless about what women can expect of our lives. Sometimes, when out with E and the kids, I have no sense of us being together and that frustates me. Our children are greedy for our time and attention and we seem to have none left to spare for each other. We are truly happy alone together, but that isn't always possible. We have to find a way to be together with our children and not be lost to each other.

No comments: