Friday, February 27, 2015

Jet stream arctic cold . . .

I do dread winter. Each wall I try to pscyh myself up for the onslaught of dark, cold, and snow, but I never seem to do much more than whimper all the way through it. I am hibernating now. I am back in my own home, tucked into the cozy warmth of it, fending off worrying thought about family and work.

Yesterday, E's son was diagnosed with a number of learning disabilities, depression, anxiety, ADD, and Turrett's Syndrome. It looks as though the Turrett's comes from his father, which explains a lot of E's behaviour to me, but doesn't make it any easier to live with.

I am in avoidance mode. I feel overwhelmed by this news and the fact that special cases are all around me. My own A, lovely daughter sunshine, is also a loopy disengager, so much so that her teacher has been in touch a number of times over the year about it and we have initiated our own investigation into why . . . which will take more than a year to complete.

For myself, aside from avoiding cold and conflict, I'm attempting to learn as much as possible from a miraculous LTO posting with a local school board. It is a .20, which amounts to an hour a day, but I have the opportunity to try . . . and learn as I do . . . so I am grateful, even if it can't continue.

Next year is up in the air . . .the insecurity of it scares me so much that I can't sleep, but once in a while I do.

I do try to enjoy what I can in the midst of all the confusion - the sunshine, conversations about learning, art making, dining out, and reading in bed.

Oh, but I'm longing for spring and for the jet stream to go back where it belongs!

No comments: